In Edinburgh, 27 tonnes of food is throw away every week. Do you want to help us fight food waste? We need volunteers to collect excess food from local shops and re-distribute it! By preventing food waste in our beautiful city, you would be helping the environment and contributing to our thriving community of food waste activists.
About the Opportunity
- Food Sharing Edinburgh collects excess food from 25 local businesses and re-distributes it to the community.
- Businesses have no obligation to donate food to us, but chose to prevent their food from going to waste.
- We need volunteers who can collect and re-distribute food from the same place at the same time every week.
- We have two rules about food redistribution – you can’t use food for any commercial purpose (selling it, giving away for donation etc.) or throw it away. Depending on your business, you will be asked to deliver to a local charity or community group, or to re-distribute amongst friends, family, neighbours and colleagues.
- You will be accompanied by a team facilitator on your first collection – they will introduce you to the business and show you what to do.
Skills and Qualities required
- Good communication skills – to let us know if your availability changes
- Punctual and reliable
- This role usually takes around 1 hour per week.
- You will be provided with a “team facilitator” – this is a volunteer who coordinates the collections for your business.
- If you can no longer make your collection, we require at least 2 days notice.
- The food can sometimes be heavy but we don’t expect you to take it all if you cannot carry it.
- Most collections can be done easily by foot or bike – a car is not required.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch at email@example.com.
To sign up to volunteer, please contact Jess at firstname.lastname@example.org and request the list of available collections – they change often!
If you would like to meet the group, come along to one of our open planning meetings. We meet at 17 Guthrie Street every Monday between 6pm and 7pm. If you would like to chat about volunteering, please come 10 minutes before the meeting or stay at the end.