About the Opportunity
- Food Sharing has a good relationship with a variety of small businesses across Edinburgh, where we collect excess food daily. We are hoping to research best practice in food waste management and develop practical guides to help our businesses reduce their excess food production.
- Tasks for the research assistant include researching best practice in food waste management across Scotland, selecting a set of organisations to be used as case studies, interviewing businesses and writing a practical guide with step-by-step instructions.
- This role is essential for allowing Food Sharing not only to re-distribute food that would otherwise go to waste, but prevent food waste at the source.
- This opportunity will provide the volunteer with excellent research experience in a growing non-profit organisation. It is an exciting chance to gain an in-depth understanding of food waste management and travel the country talking to inspiring projects.
Skills and Experience
- We require a volunteer with strong skills in research and writing. A knowledge of the food waste landscape in Scotland is desirable but not necessary.
- The Shrub Coop is at 13, Guthrie Street in Edinburgh.
- The office space at the Shrub is available for volunteers between 10am and 6pm, Monday to Thursday
- A minimum of 7 hours commitment per week is required
- A minimum commitment of 2 months is desirable
- Travel expenses can be provided by Food Sharing for interviews with businesses.
- An induction will be provided, and all Food Sharing volunteers are able to apply for the cost of relevant training to be covered by Food Sharing.
- This role is fully supported by the Project Facilitator at Food Sharing, who is always on hand if you have any questions or need advice.
How to Apply
- To apply, please tell us why you would like to apply for the opportunity and what qualities and experience you would bring to the role. Please send this via email to email@example.com
- After receiving your application, we will ask you to come in for an informal chat and, if we are both happy with the arrangement, give you an induction.
If you have any questions about the role, don’t hesitate to get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org